I want to share one of my favourite summer salad recipes with you. It is easy to make, it will take just a few minutes to pull it together (if you do your mise en place before) as a first course or a side.
225g package of halloumi, sliced
2 T olive oil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
pinch of dried chilli peppers (if you like spicy food)
1-pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
mint and sorrel leaves, to serve (about a cup or more)
sliced romaine lettuce (about a cup)
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds, to serve
- Pour the olive oil into a shallow bowl, add the dried herbs and spice if using and stir to combine. Add the halloumi slices and turn until the cheese is well coated. This can marinate for up to 4 hours or more in the refrigerator.
- Prepare the romaine, mint and/or sorel, toss in a bowl and set aside.
- Have your individual plates or platter ready if serving family style and add the tossed herbs and romaine to the plates just before you begin to grill the halloumi.
- Heat a large griddle pan on either the stove top or the BBQ.
- Add the marinated halloumi to the pan and cook for 1-2 mins, then turn over and cook for a further 1-2 mins until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove the halloumi from the pan and plate on top of the romaine and herbs on either individual plates or a platter if serving family style.
- Immediately add the cherry tomatoes to the pan (add more olive oil if needed) and quickly saute for about 1 min and add on top of the grilled halloumi.
- Then drizzle over the pomegranate molasses and serve with pomegranate seeds scattered over.