The easiest party to hold this time of year is ‘The Soup Party’. Perfect weather - chilly and grey. Time for friends to get together and share a bowl or two of soup. Make them all or order a few from Viva Tastings to augment your creation. Here is one of my favourite soup recipes - it’s easy, give it a try.
PEPPERED CORN CHOWDER
One of my most favourite soups and so easy to make.
Ingredients / Mise en Place
2 tbsps. unsalted butter
1⁄2 cup of cooking onions, diced
1 cup leeks, diced or sliced *
1 tsp garlic, chopped
2 cups of fresh corn kernels (fresh if you can get it, however, the frozen sweet cernal corn will work)
1 1⁄2 cups of whole milk
1 cup of whipping cream
1 cup of chicken stock
1. Melt the butter in a large heavy saucepan and add the onions, leeks and garlic and a bit of salt.
2. Sauté over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring often. Do not let it caramelize or colour.
3. Add the milk, cream, and corn kernels.
4. Bring to a boil and add the chicken stock. Simmer for 4 to 5 minutes, just until the corn is tender.
5. Add Salt and pepper to taste
6. Serve hot
* NOTE: use white part only for the leeks.